Tag Archives: floods

Call for Government to address flood funding shortfall

River Spen in flood in 2011

Flooding along the River Spen in 2011 (Reporter Series)

Jo Cox MP is calling on the government to find the money needed to complete flood defences in Batley & Spen.

The latest data from the Environment Agency reveals that 2,286 homes in Batley & Spen are at risk of flooding. Three flood defence projects, costing £2.1million, are under development but these will not proceed until a funding shortfall of £915,000 is addressed.

Mrs Cox said:  “It’s hard to overstate the economic and human cost of flooding. It doesn’t just damage property, it ruins lives. As the severity and frequency of flooding increases so the number of people in Batley & Spen at risk will also rise.

“We urgently need robust defences – and I am asking the government to find the money we need to protect local people today and into the future.”

The schemes in question would alleviate flooding in Cleckheaton and at Radulf Gardens and Ings Crescent in Littletown, all of which have been notorious for flooding in recent years from the River Spen.

Each scheme would predominantly protect homes, but also a small number of businesses.

Jo Cox guest edits Sunday newspaper’s political column

Batley and Spen MP Jo Cox guest edited this Sunday’s political column in the People newspaper.

Mrs Cox used the opportunity to raise the issue of loneliness and the forgotten army of volunteers who help tackle it, following on from her work on the issue locally.

Mrs Cox also took issue with David Cameron’s plans to weaken the ban on fox hunting, the impact government cuts have had on flood defences and on US presidential hopeful Donald Trump.

If you missed the column, you can read it here.

Yorkshire Water to suspend bills for flood victims

Jo Cox MP has welcomed Yorkshire Water’s announcement that it will suspend charges for customers who have been forced out of their homes by the recent floods.

Eligible customers will have their charges suspended until such time as they were able to reoccupy their homes.

In addition, Yorkshire Water will also make an allowance for those eligible customers who choose to remain in their homes but whose bills rise significantly as a result of clean-up activities.

Mrs Cox said: “The recent floods have been absolutely devastating and my heart goes out to all those people whose homes and businesses have been affected. This is the worst flooding West Yorkshire has seen in 70 years not to mention the misery they have brought to so many people at Christmas.

“Yorkshire Water has recognised that some of its customers are going through a terrible time as a result of the flooding and want to help them get back on their feet as quickly as possible.

“This is a welcome announcement, on top of several councils already saying they will suspend Council Tax bills.”

Customers can contact Yorkshire Water on 0345 124 24 24, use its live chat facility on yorkshirewater.com/contact-us, or tweet @YWHelp to discuss their individual circumstances. Details can also be found on its website.


Yorkshire Water has also published this list of frequently asked questions

Who qualifies for this assistance?

Anyone whose home has been flooded by the storms in Yorkshire since Christmas Day. We can help if you have had to move out of your property or if you have incurred higher water charges because of the extra water used in cleaning up.

What if I am still living in my flooded home?

We will continue to charge you as normal if you are still living in your flooded property because you are still using water and wastewater services. If you have a water meter we understand that you might see an increase in water usage due to the extra water used in cleaning up after the floods. We will make an allowance for this extra water usage so you will not have to pay for it.

Will I get an allowance if I don’t have a water meter?

If you have had to move out of your house we will suspend your full water and sewerage charges regardless of whether you pay based on Rateable Value or whether you have a water meter. If you are still living in your home after being flooded and you pay based on Rateable value, your fixed yearly charge will not change no matter how much additional water you need to use, and we will not make an allowance.

When will I have to start paying my water bill again?

When you move back into your home we will start to charge you again for your water and wastewater services.

What about the water bill at the temporary accommodation I have moved into?

If you are responsible for the water bill at your new temporary accommodation you will be charged as usual at that address. If you have moved in with friends or relatives they will be responsible for the water bill as normal.

Why do you need my contact details?

We will need to keep in touch with you throughout the period that your property is empty. Also, it may be necessary to make checks on your water supply or your water meter before you move back in again.